Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A New Favorite: Feijoada

I must admit I do not know to much about this meal except it is from Brazil. I will do some research. I will let you know.....But I do have to come clean all together. I found this recipe in Everyday with Rachael Ray Mag. I know. I know. I KNOW. There is a lot of people that do not care for her. Truthfully, there is a lot of recipes that I do not care for, but recipes like this makes up for it. As soon as I saw the recipe I KNEW I had to make this for my husband.....
My husband informed me after one bit that he wants this meal every other week. Which is fine with me. This meal was pretty easy and I cook by itself most of the day.
It was a success.


FEIJOADA
6 TB O Jalapeno Olive Oil (Or Reg. Oil)
2 lbs of pork shoulder, cubed
1 ham hock
1 lb of smokes sausage, cut in small bit sized pieces.
1 lb dried black beans, RINSED
1 LG. red onion, chopped
2 dried bay leaves
4 cloves, minced
2 cps. of long grain rice
salt and pepper.
1 jar of pickled jalapenos (I used the jalapenos and the juice)


I have no idea if anyone has heard of O Olive Oil from California. But they make flavored Olive Oil that is quit amazing. I used the Jalapeno and Lime to make this dish.
Brown the pork on medium heat with 2 TB of Olive Oil. (You will use the rest of the Olive Oil to make Black Refried Beans
Cut the sausage. I used Surry Sausage (Which I do know about. It is a sausage only created in Surry, VA. IT ROCKS.) and diced 1 onion. Half for now and half for later.
Add it to the pot. Add with 3 bay leaves, pepper,sausage, 8 cups water, bag of black beans 1/2 the onions and ham hock.
I then minced garlic (4 cloves) into the pot. Cover it. Let it cook on medium heat(a simmer) for a few hours. Then you get.........
I added rice, jalapenos, and the other half of the onions. (You need to brown the other half of onions and add a little of the ground beans and mash...Almost like black beans refried beans and you add it back to the pot.) I used the half the juice of pickled jalapenos and almost all of the jalapenos.
This was really good and spicy...I think this would be a GREAT Burrito filling too.....
Enjoy

14 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad you posted this. I have some black beans and I love feijoada. Ive had the brazillian original many times but could never recreate the flavours at home! Saving and double saving this lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome RUth......
    Thank you for your comments on every post.
    You are a faithful follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very good. I will try it for my husband. I know what you mean about Rachel Ray, did you know she has her own brand of chicken broth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks fantastic and tasty..love the heat you added!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh.....My husband and older son would love this. Thanx for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I like this version. Just a warning, if you do make it to Brazil and order this you have to have a stomach for a random pig part or two, as in maybe a foot or an ear. The more upscale restaurants will separate everything out so you can just have sausage if you want. We are planning to visit one of those places soon and when we do I'll be sure to post about it.

    Oh and about RR. I know she annoys everybody, but I do love her recipes and her story is quite inspiring. I can't help but be a bit envious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brazillian dishes are always so tasty and this one is so easy! thanks, s

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, that's a man's meal! This looks so flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks scrumptious - loving the ingredients - even the ones I cannot get here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM - I LOVE Brazillian food and this looks fantastic. It would be so good by itself, on a salad, in a wrap....the optins are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feijoada is quite new to me but it seems quiet delicious.
    Enjoy a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is new to me, but it looks worth a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely adore feijoada! Funny thing is that I have never tasted an 'authentic' version of it but did receive a great recipe from a dear friend in Brazil. My husband had the same reaction as yours - he'd love this for dinner every night!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for letting me know how you feel about my dishes.