Thursday, July 23, 2009
Fish Tacos with Green Tomato Salsa
Ever since I started my site I have become braver and braver in the kitchen. I do not come in the kitchen protected by a recipe. This is one of those times.
I wanted fish tacos. My husband loves tempura, so I used tempura batter on the mild white tilipia fish.
My salsa was a result of having 5 huge green tomatoes staring at me.
I have been wondering what to make with them for days...I did not feel like fried green tomatoes. Let me say, this turned out wonderful. A little tart which went perfect with the fish. My husband informed me it was another home run.
I love becoming braver and more inventive in the kitchen.....It is such a high.
Let start with the yummy salsa:
MY MEAN GREEN SALSA
4 BIG Green tomatoes (NOT Tomatillos)
2 Garlic Cloves
1/4 cp. Cilantro
1/2 red onion
1 bell pepper
2 TB O Jalapeno Olive Oil
2 TB Lime Juice
1. Throw all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until the consistency you enjoy.
1.5 lbs Tilipia
1 box of tempura mix
1 1/2 cp. VERY cold soda water
1 Quart oil
Dried Cilantro and Chipotle Pepper Powder
1. Heat the oil to 350.
2. Meantime cut the tilipia in bit size pieces. Then add the soda water to the tempura mix.
3. Dip one tempura a few times and then drop into the hot oil.
4. As soon as it is dark brown remove from oil. Add a little cilantro and Chipotle pepper to each batch.
Red Cabbage Slaw
2 cp Red Cabbage
1/4 cp Cilantro
2 TB. O Jalapeno Olive Oil
1 TB. O Lemon Champagne Vinegar
1 Jalapeno, grated (Remove rib and seeds)
1. Toss all the ingredients together.
Green Tabasco (For those who like it hot...MY HUSBAND)
Add the fish to the cooked tortilla shells. Top with the salsa, slaw, (optional) jalapenos, and green Tabasco (optional).