Monday, October 26, 2009

Cinnamon Crumb Suprise Bread


Well, let me just tell you. I will be living without an oven for atleast a month...SOOOO I will be baking a lot this week. I need my fix. I might have to visit some friends and use their oven. Anyway, this is a recipe that I found in the Bread Bible. It is very yummy.(VERY VERY..IT IS ALREADY GONE) It reminded me off a coffee cake, but better. Who would not love a bread that has the middle filled with Apple and Cinnamon goodness? I hope everyone had a great weekend!


The Crumb Topping

1/4 cp. light brown sugar packed
1 1/2 TB. Granulated sugar
3/4 cp. walnuts (I used pecans. I love pecans.)
1 tsp. cinnamon
8 TB. Cake Flour, unsifted
3 TB. butter, melted
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract


1. In a food processor blend the sugars, nuts and cinnamon. Set 1/2 cp. aside. Add the cake flour, butter and vanilla. Pulse. Put in the fridge for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven at 350
THE APPLE FILLING and BATTER
1 Apple, skinned and seeded, chopped (1 heaping cup)
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 Lg. Egg
2 Lg. Egg Yolks
1/2 cp. Sour Cream
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cp. Sifted Flour (Must be sifted into the cup for right measurements. Do not tap.)
3/4 cp. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/8 tsp. baking soda (I just put a little less then 1/2 tsp.)
pinch of salt
9 TB. softened butter

1. Peel, core, and cut the apples in cubes.Toss in lemon juice.
2. Medium bowl combine one fourth of the sour cream, the eggs, and vanilla.

3. Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix on low until combined.
4. Add the butter and remaining sour cream into the mixer.
5. Add egg mixture in two batches.
4. Fill greased pan half way (2/3 of the batter) Add the rest of the 1/2 cp. cinnamon and sugar mixture and top with the apples. Drop the remaining batter and spread over. Top with the crumb topping.
5. Bake 50-60 minutes. Let cool


26 comments:

  1. Oooh yum! Apples in the center are definitely a wonderful surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to bite into this bread and find delicious apples & cinnamon in the center, excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't think I've made a coffee cake yet. Eek!! I love the apple cinnamon surprise in this. Definitely two things that go well together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand why it's gone already. It looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that sweet topping...yum! I know the feeling of living w/out an oven. Mine broke right after I started my food blog. I ended up making two things in the toaster oven and one in the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sure looks very delicious. I love the crumb topping. If I make this I think it will all disappear in no time too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this recipe... This is a complement, as they were among the best cooks you could imagine, but this reminds me of a summer in college when I worked a summer camp... Needs a little fresh whipped cream and TALK ABOUT GOOOOOD

    ReplyDelete
  8. As much as I love plain coffee cake, I have to admit that this apple version looks wonderful! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious - especially the crumb topping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic! I think I'll try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious, love the apples in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks really good! Could you serve it warm with ice cream? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks scrumptious! I cannot wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Popped in to say hi! My real name is Miranda, so it's always nice to meet another!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Packed with autumn goodness - this bread would be a welcome addition to any meal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. KK-Yes you can serve warm with a BIG scoop of ice bream or homemade cinnamon whip cream. YUM.
    This bread is so great. It is pretty easy to make too. I am trying her white bread recipe today. We will see how it goes....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! This is a perfect coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks delicious. Who one can resist a bread with the apple and cinnamon filling?
    Oven is the best utensil to make us many yummy dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmm mmm! I can never get enough crumb! Good thing I'm not around your house :-) I also wanted to let you know I have a blog award for you at my blog. Come on and get it when you have a tick http://laptopsandstovetops.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great recipe Miranda! This would be perfect over a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ohhhh that looks amazing, I wish I could have a slice of that right now! I can just taste the cinnamon and apple filling mmmm mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooooh, this looks good. I love anything thats got a lot of cinnamon :). So happy for you that you have a new oven!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful surprise filling! This motivates me to get off my butt and do some baking-this is going to be amazing for brunch this weekend!~

    ReplyDelete
  24. wowowow, this cake is real crumbly!!!!!
    good work, miranda!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That really does look and sound like a coffee cake. The photos are making me drool. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cannot wait to try this recipe. The filling sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for letting me know how you feel about my dishes.