Monday, November 9, 2009

Suite Mea 4: Jalapeno Bagels



Oh how I love my new little oven. But I love my new books more: Artisan Breads Every Day by Peter Reinhart

He rocks! I am now addicted. I actually think I need an intervention. I have made two breads: Bagels and Challah Bread

I have made these in less then two days! My husband is afraid I am trying to make him fat and I can't stop!!

I need more!!! I need more!!!! I want to make the Cinnamon Rolls, The pizza, The Chocolate Bread, The Chocolate Croissants, The English Muffins. LOL. Should I go on?

I am honestly going to give the homemade Croissants a try today or tomorrow....We shall see.

I also received his Bread Bakers Apprentice. That will be my next book I cook out of. It looks like lots of fun too.

Oh, how I love bread.

Now, let me just say. These are mouthwatering and amazing. I made his bagels, but I made my husbands favorite. I made Jalapeno Cheddar Bagels! They are FANTASTIC! Yes, I am patting my own back! I am very very surprised I managed to make Jalapeno Cheddar Bagels in my VERY VERY small hotel kitchen.

Now, on to the recipe

Jalapeno Cheddar Bagels
adapted from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day

1 TB honey
1 tsp. instant yeast
2 tsp. coarse salt
1 cp + 2 TB lukewarm water
3 1/2 cp. bread flour, unbleached
2 jalapenos diced




Poaching liquid:

3 quarts of water
1 1/2 TB honey
1 TB Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt

1. Add malt, salt, yeast and water. Let set for a few minutes. Mix with the flour and jalapenos with dough hook for three minutes on the lowest speed. (Or mix by hand with sturdy spoon.)Rest for 5 minutes.
2. Mix for another 3 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled boil for an hour. Make sure that you tightly wrap with plastic wrap.
3. Line pan with parchment. Spray with oil and divide into 6 to 8 equal sizes. Roll on a dry surface and then form the bagels. Spray with oil if you need too.
4. Place each bagel on the pan spay with oil and cover over night.
5. Remove bagels 90 minutes before ready to prepare. (Place in a cup of cold water to see if it floats. It is ready if it floats.)
6. Prepare the poaching liquid. Cover. Bring to a boil. Then let simmer. Add the ingredients.
7. Poach each bagel 60 minutes each side. Remove. Put on oiled baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. 450 oven. Bake 8 minutes, then rotate for another 8 minutes. (I topped mine with cheddar here.)



I made Breakfast sandwiches for the hubby and I for breakfast the last few mornings. I also made BLT (picture above) for lunch. These turned out so wonderful. Mine where shaped a little oddly. Not as much like bagels, but it was because of my lack of spray oil and I used regular AP flour. I did not have bread flour.
I still tasted amazing.

You can make a huge batch and freeze them. Take them out when needed. They are incredible and worth the time. If I can make them in a tiny hotel room. I promise you can make them! Enjoy!




THIS IS FOR YOU INGRID! MUAH!

15 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, lady! You go! Cookin' and bakin' up a storm in a teeny tiny no real oven kitchen!

    I still want to see your oven! :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try and make my own bagels for quite sometime. I love eating them, too. Since I've started baking my own breads, I can't think of nay reason why I haven't tried making bagels yet.

    I like the the new oven. I have something a little similar I use as a backup oven in any case that my kitchen attached oven decided to die out on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bagel looks so delicious. I am so impressed with how you adapted to this kitchen. You are making dishes that are soo wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carb overload for sure..all of those yummy breads!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore breads too, and I'm so happy that you are settling into your new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bagels look absolutely amazing! I could nosh on one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My tummy is growling as I sit here eating a protien bar and looking at your bagel. I would love to trade. ha ha. Looks delish!

    To answer your question about the chicken sandwich in CL - it was very good! I loved how simple it was. It is good to know the spinach pie was yummy too. I have that one marked to try - maybe this weekend now! Thanks Miranda~!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is so impressive, your bagels look so good! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, thjrow caution to the wind and make them all! The bagels look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't Breads just great. What kind of mixer is that? is that the cuisinart! And you have an oven! Just in time for Christmas cookies. Do you have any favorites. We should do a recipe swap for cookies... what do you think? We could each post it on our blogs... could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooo I am going to have to make these for my husband...he will love them!

    Two things that are vastly important:

    1. Why am I not on your blog roll? lol

    2. I am forcing you to enter my cheese contest. lol...please?

    ReplyDelete
  12. jalapeno cheddar bagel - killer! I have that cuisinart oven its great - I used it for a long while when all I had was a two burner hot plate and that oven...its remarkably big!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a bread fiend, too!! These bagels look smashing...seriously!!!! Your little kitchen space is so tiny and cute...and you are rockin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made my first batch of bagels last month! You really did remind to make more. Love the look of the cheesy topping. yum...

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look amazing and you have me very interested in this book. I just got Healthy Bread in 5 Min a Day from the Foodbuzz fest and plan to try some bagels in there. Looks like i know have another bread cookbook to try. Haven't been by in a while bc of my travel and move - love the new look of your site!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for letting me know how you feel about my dishes.