Saturday, January 23, 2010
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
I saw this in the Food Network Mag and knew right away I had to make it! First of all, I absolutely love red velvet. It is a favorite. Plus, I wanted to give it a whirl before I made them on Valentines Day. They are perfect to celebrate Valentines Day with!!!!
1 oz.semisweet chocolate chopped
1/2 oz. milk chocolate chopped
12 TB of unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cp. sour cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 TB red food coloring
2 1/4 cps. AP flour
1 cp. sugar
1/4 cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda and salt and set aside.
2. Melt the butter and then add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Add the sour cream, eggs, vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring. Stir to combine.
3 Add the flour mixture 1 cp. at a time to the wet mixture until all is combined.
4. On a greased baking sheet add 1 heaping TB of the batter per cookie and smooth with a finger.
5. Bake on 375 for 8 to 10 minutes.
8 oz. of soft cream cheese
3 TB of butter, soft
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cp. powdered sugar
1. Cream the butter and cream cheese together. Add the vanilla and mix. Add the powdered sugar until combined and thick.
Once the cookies are cool add a heaping tablespoon of the icing into each cookie and then put another cookie on top. Put the finished cookies in the fridge for 30 minutes for them to set up!!!
My girls loved them. They are a perfect Valentine and everyday dessert!