Friday, February 12, 2010

Roasted Garlic Chicken Chili


For all of you that live up North....IT IS COLD IN FLORIDA TOO!!! It has been in the 40's to the upper 60's for the last week. I know. I know. That is not like the -2 in Michigan and the 12 degrees in Ohio. Let me just tell you. When it is cool in FL it feels freezing. The air blows it's moist air.

I went to the massive farmers market in Volusia County on Wed. and it was FREEZING! My kiddos and I where dressed in their winter clothes. My hands were left uncovered and they were red and sore from the bit of the cold air.

Because of our cold front I wanted to make a soup. I found a interesting Chicken Chili in last month's issue of the Food Network Mag. I made some changes, but it was wonderful.

Roasted Garlic Chicken Chili
Adapted from FN Magazine

One Garlic Bulb
1 tsp Olive Oil

1. Cut the Bulb in half and sprinkle with the olive oil. Roast in the oven for an hour on 400 degrees.

2 tsp. Olive Oil
3 Leeks, sliced thin and rinsed
1 Jalapeno, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 TB Flour
1/3 cp Chicken Drippings
4 Cps. Roasted Chicken (Use the drippings)
7 Cps. Chicken Broth
1 box of frozen Spinach
2 15 oz. cans of Navy Beans, rinsed
1 tsp. cayenne
2 TB Ancho Chili Powder

1. Heat the oil in a skillet add the leeks and caramelize. It takes about 20 minutes. Add the pepper and garlic. Cook for a few minutes. Add the flour and stir constantly for a few minutes until brown. Add the chicken drippings and deglaze the pan.

2. Add the stock, Spinach, Navy Beans, and the roasted garlic. Stir. Add the seasonings and cook for 30 minutes.

3. Serve with your favorite toppings: I used garlic Triskets and Monterrey Jack cheese.

12 comments:

  1. very nice and your pictures are awesome....how do you like your new kitchen? You must be having a ball....you certainly are whipping up some great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds tasty and really hot with the 3 different kinds of chilies. Is it as hot as it sounds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smiling at being freezing in Florida - but I suppose given the winter everyone is having. The chicken looks fabulous - warming and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would eat soup, hot or cold anytime of the year, no matter...I like the idea of roasted garlic in this chicken chili...nice! Love the triskets (sp?) on the side too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay warm. Soup is always the best in cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a most perfect dish for your ummm chilly weather:) Trade ya? My kids have been home now 3 days in arow due to snow.. school cancelled 3 days in a row and 2 days last week, lord give me strength .. and a stiff drink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the roasted garlic in here, Miranda. Sounds like the perfect dinner to combat the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the food network magazine. It's one of my favorites for sure. You had me at roasted garlic- sounds like a good way to fight off the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to let you know that I passed a blog award onto you. Come check it out.

    http://dontforgetthefood.blogspot.com/2010/02/kreativ-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a YUMMY!!! and SPICY!!! recipe for chili.
    I found your blog via Monica, I have become a follower. Come by and visit maybe you can do the same.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Because of the moisture in the air and the fact that the wind is constantly blowing it makes it seem much colder here.

    Your soup sounds so warm and yummy. The words roasted garlic immediately caught my attention!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for letting me know how you feel about my dishes.