Sunday, December 6, 2009

12 Days of Cookies: Nutella Buckeye Suprise



Today, I have been in the kitchen trying to create my very own holiday cookie. I wanted to honor my home state of Ohio. In Ohio at Christmas time the most popular cookie is the Buckeye. Most people from out of Ohio have not heard of this spectacular cookie!

Let me tell you a few positives about the Buckeye and this recipe:

1. It is only a few ingredients that I can almost guarantee you have in your pantry!
2. No baking!!
3. Very Simple. (Kids can even help! They love being a helper!)
4. It is the most amazing time of year and is a great gift!

12DaysCookies_badge-1

Why did I choose the Buckeye? It is my most memorable holiday cookie. All throughout my childhood I remember my mother and my aunts getting together to make holiday cookies! This was the one we could not wait to gobble up. The normal Buckeye includes peanut butter rolled in a ball and dipped into chocolate. They look like a buckeye. I wanted this to be a little more special! I created this cookie for In Jennie's Kitchen and the 12 Days of Cookies! I want to support Childhood Hunger in anyway I can....

I am submitting this recipe to another amazing site: Tongue-n-Cheeky!
She has an incredible cookie bake off. I love this site and the wonderful recipes she shares. Check it out. Vote for me too!



Make sure you stop by her site and see the wonderful cookies!

MY First Christmas Cookie Recipe NUTELLA BUCKEYE SUPRISE:

3/4 cp. peanut butter
3/4 cp. nutella
1 Stick of butter, melted
4 cps. powdered sugar

6 oz. Chocolate
2 TB Shortening

Hershey Kisses ( I used a variety. The pic is Caramel Hershey Kiss.)This is optional I put them is some, but not all. I also used white chocolate to cover the Buckeyes, but not only did they not look like Buckeyes. They did not taste as good.


1. In a mixer add the peanut butter, nutella, butter and powdered sugar. It will look crumbly, but when you form when you roll it.(Kinda like Meatballs.)If you are using Hershey Kisses then roll the dough around the kiss.

2. Put in the freezer for ten minutes.
3. Use a toothpick and put it in each buckeye then roll it in the melted chocolate. (I usually just add the chocolate and shortening to the Microwave for 30 seconds then stir.)


4. After you coat each Buckeye put them in the fridge of freezer to harden.

Beware! These are addictive!

NOW! EVERYONE go over to Tongue and Cheeky and leave a comment voting for me! It will only take a minute. Love you all. Cross your fingers for me!! :)

37 comments:

  1. Growing up in Northwest Ohio I'm very familiar with Buckeyes. The editable and non-editable kind:) I love the twist you took on this classic cookie. I need to give this a try. Yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a good recipe. As an Ohioan I love the buckeyes too....aloha, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cross-section pic. I think I'd be snacking on this all day. hehehe...Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is so artistic! Love the 12 days of cookies, as I am doing a 12 days of Christmas theme post as well...cool and good luck, wish I was your taste tester :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miranda, I love this cookie! Seems like a perfect one to make with the kids, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute idea! I am co-hosting the 12 Days of Sharing tomorrow and will be posting another Nutella recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE buckeyes, and grew up with them, as I am from the Buckeye State. This new twist seems like the perfect "modern" variation. Thanks so much for sharing, and good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum - what a tasty looking cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of these before, but they look like my kind of cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that is such an awesome cookie and I love that they do not require any baking

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious! What a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. We have buckeyes all the time in Iowa and Indiana. Just had some at the party we got back from though those did not have something at their center like these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, I've never heard of these before! I think I could easily become addicted though - and they're gluten-free! Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's hard to top a cookie that's got Hershey's Kisses AND Nutella; the fact that it's no-bake is the proverbial cherry on top. I voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm back in Cleveland right now and the Buckeyes are everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maureen Said: YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY !!!! My kids loved these .... what a great twist to an already awesome cookie !!! Delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great cookies,I will make Nutella Buckeyes for daughters Kindergarten class. I know they will love it.
    Love you Babe!Good Luck !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Miranda...voted for you...great cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. very cool will forward to my friend from Ohio !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful interpretation of Bull's eye cookies. I hope that you choose one of your cookies to enter in the Gourmetgirlmagazine.com Virtual Cookie Crawl. (Click on the blog link on the home page for details)
    We voted for your cookie and wish you good luck!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seriously, who could possibly not adore these buckeyes.... they contain Nutella!! They got my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Voted! That's a good-looking cookie and i think my daughter and i gonna make it this coming weekend -- looking forward fot it :)
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is really simple! you just gave me a party idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, what a creation! Wanted to let you know that I finally got my coffee press! A post about it will go up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I grew up in PA and had buckeye balls every year for Christmas as well. I LOVE your twist and you def have my vote. 8/)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look great - what a creative cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. go girl! and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those look frighteningly addictive. Like, oh no I ate the whole tray addictive! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look decadent and extremely addictive. Now I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow love first pic! looks so good, I don't think I can have enough of this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Look really good, but chocolate and powdered sugar? Too sweet for my family's tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL, okay so long as I get some with out kisses in them. :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  33. Too late! :( Can I still have a buckeye? I tried?! LOL
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for letting me know how you feel about my dishes.